Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Thoughts From A Non Medalist

Every four years, the entire world gets a reminder of how inadequate we are; it is called the Olympics.  We watch, we cheer, we are happy when our team wins and sad when they lose.  But ultimately, we realize we had nothing to do with their success and will never measure up. 

I remember when I was a girl feeling very sad the first time I realized I would never be an Olympian, I was heartbroken (for as long as an eight year old pays attention to anything).  Now that I am an adult, I look at all these athletes, most of whom are younger than me and know I missed my ‘window’.  However, I don’t feel sad for my loss, but theirs.  I listen to 15 year old medalists say they have worked their entire life for that moment.  Their entire life! Can you imagine dedicating your entire childhood to a sport where you get one chance to be the greatest and peek at the age of 16?  No thank you.
I am pretty sure no one is ever going to give me a medal for anything, but I am pretty good at a lot of things. And more than that, I had the opportunity to experience a lot of things.  As a kid I played softball and swimming.  Took dance and art classes.  Dressed up and played pretend.  Went to Disneyland on summer vacation.  Camped at the lake.  Was in the band, the school play and hung out with my friends.  I did stuff.  Lots of stuff.
In college I went to football games, joined a sorority, and participated in student government.  I stayed out late, slept in late and occasionally dragged my butt to the gym.  I had a lot of fun not being a world class athlete.
Maybe I am trying to validate my choices in life or justify why I can sit on the couch eating pretzels while the best athletes in the word leave it all in the pool, gym or stadium.  Whatever the case may be, I appreciate what I have and wouldn’t trade all those experiences for a gold medal and all you have to give up to get one.  I respect the talented athletes who do make those choices.  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them compete.  They may even have motivated me to hit the gym a little harder, but I certainly don’t feel like I am missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment