Monday, June 4, 2012

15 Minutes with Xfinity, I mean Comcast...Whatever

In the second installment of my rant series I tackle Xfinity.  (On a side note, what the hell is Xfinity anyway.  Either own it or not Comcast, but stop trying to confuse the hell out people.)

My mission: Cancel my appointment for a home security consultation tomorrow.

I visit Xfinity.com to find the number for home security, there is absolutely no link or mention of that service on the home page (Strike 1).  I search Google and get a link, the URL is Comcast.com/something or another (Strike 2, Comcast?  I thought this was Xfinity?)  I deep link about three pages and find a number: 800-Xfinity (3, this is clearly going to add up quick.  I intend to sum the strikes at the conclusion of each of the proceeding paragraphs).
The call begins as follows: “For business press 1, for other press 2.”  Press 2.  “I didn’t get that, for business press 1 for other press 2.”  Press and hold 2.  “For Cable press 1 for other press 2.”  Press 2.  “I didn’t get that, for Cable press 1, for other press 2.”  Press and hold 2.  “Transferring your call…beep, boop, beep bop.”  (2 strikes + 1 extra for being really annoying).
I am shocked to find they are experiences longer than normal wait times.   Several minutes later a customer service rep answers and asks for my name, address and last four of my social before ever asking me what I need.  Finally I tell her and she doesn’t seem to understand what I am saying (as if she isn’t aware of the product; she probably isn’t) Finally, I think she realized she couldn’t help me and said she didn’t see any appointment and transferred me to sales.  A complete, make it someone else’s problem move. (4 strikes)
Sales answers, and I am asked if I am a Comcast employee or a customer.  Really, they can’t pass along that info?  Next time, I am saying I am an employee, just to see what happens.  I explain that I need to cancel an appointment.  He asks for all the same info as the rep.  Guess they can’t pass along that either when they transfer a call.  He doesn’t see an appointment, thinks it is probably recorded in another system and can’t help me.  Transfers to Home Security division, but not before I suggest that perhaps it would be better if I could have just called Home Security to begin with. (5 strikes)
Home Security answers, I give them my info, again.  No appointment in their system.  At this point, I inform them that I have wasted 15 minutes to do them the courtesy of cancelling an appointment in advance and they don’t even see it.  Next time I won’t bother.  I also let them know that if someone shows up tomorrow, I will not be answering the door.  Click. (2 Strikes + an extra 5 for never finding my appointment to begin with.
So, all total, a 15 minute call with Comcast racked up 22 strikes (albeit 6 discretionary).  I find it ironic that their latest ad campaign centers on customer service and satisfaction.  I love the ads, they are hilarious, but they don’t make me feel warm and fuzzy about Comcast.  If anything, they just piss me off because they are paying for those ads with the margin they get off my cable bill and they lie.  FAIL!

No comments:

Post a Comment